The ANMF has added its voice to the call to End COVID For All, this campaign is working to encourage the Australian Government to deepen its partnerships with our neighbours to address COVID-19 and increase its assistance for the world’s most vulnerable nations and communities.
The End COVID For All campaign believes Australia can and should provide our expertise and leadership, and increase financial support, to end COVID-19 beyond our shores, because as unfolding events in our nation have shown us: COVID-19 is not over until it’s over for everyone. To this end, we are working to encourage the Australian Government to deepen its partnerships with our neighbours to address COVID-19 and increase its assistance for the world’s most vulnerable nations and communities.
Below is a summary of the asks explained in full in the report.
- Contribute a fair share to the global COVAX facility by making an additional AUD 250 million commitment
- Make a commitment to share 20 million vaccines through the COVAX facility
- Commit to vaccine equity for all frontline workers and vulnerable groups around the world
- Commit AUD 50 million to addressing vaccine hesitancy
- Commit to regular public reporting of the delivery and administration of bilateral vaccine sharing
- Make a fair share commitment of AUD 170 million to the Rapid ACT-Accelerator Delta Response Appeal
- Establish a framework for responding to outbreaks in the Indo-Pacific
- Invest in Australia becoming a vaccine factory for the region
- Support the establishment of a technology transfer hub in the region
- Commit to contributing to the long-term COVID-19 recovery in our region and around the world.
ANMF joins call for more investment in global vaccine equity and pandemic preparedness
ANMF Federal Secretary Annie Butler has joined with other leading Australian voices calling for more investment in global vaccine equity and pandemic preparedness.
More than 70 of Australia’s leading epidemiologists, GPs, global health, business, development and aid organisations have signed on to an open letter calling on the Prime Minister to make a Budget commitment to accelerate the global vaccination effort and prevent the emergence of another COVID variant of concern.
The letter outlines “grave concern regarding the state of global vaccine inequity” and highlights the opportunity “Australia has to help address this vital issue affecting us all”.
Read the full joint open letter here.