The ANMF is providing support and advice to any members seeking information regarding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). ANMF members are fortunate to have an understanding of infection control principles through their education and the accreditation standards by which their health facilities are measured. The community will be looking to nurses, midwives and personal carers to provide guidance and reassurance.
- COVID-19 - Changes to Federal Office operations
- ANMF Victorian Branch - Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice and information
- NSW Nurses and Midwives’ Association (NSWNMA) - Latest Guidelines for Nurses: COVID 19
- Queensland Nurses and Midwives' Union (QNMU) - COVID-19 information for members
- ANMF (SA Branch) - COVID-19 updates and resources
- ANMF Tasmanian Branch - COVID-19 resources and news
ANMF Evidence Briefs
- COVID-19: Personal Protective Equipment (updated 30 April)
- COVID-19: Provisions for casual nurses
- COVID-19: Social distancing and containment
- COVID-19: Testing for COVID-19
- COVID-19: Hand sanitiser ingredients
- COVID-19: Modes of transmission and infection (updated 30 April)
- COVID-19: Cleaning and disinfection of hospital surfaces and equipment
- COVID-19: Negative pressure rooms
- COVID-19: Wearing masks and face coverings in the community
- COVID-19: Protecting healthcare workers from infection
- COVID-19: Screening for suspected infection status (updated 29 April)
- COVID-19: Laundering of healthcare worker uniforms
- COVID-19: Fit testing and fit checking for respirators
- COVID-19: Relaxing social restrictions
- Summary: Modelling the impact of COVID-19 in Australia to inform transmission reducing measures and health system preparedness
ANMF COVID-19 Response Guidelines
- Guideline #1 - ANMF Priorities for Nursing Workforce Surge Strategies and Principles for Redeployment of Registered Nurses during the COVID-19 pandemic in Australia
- Guideline #2 - ANMF Priorities for Midwife Workforce Surge Strategies and Principles for Redeployment of Midwives during the COVID-19 pandemic in Australia
- Guideline #3 - ANMF Principles for Safe and Compassionate Entry into Nursing Homes
ANMF Information/Fact Sheets
- Aged Care Support Information Sheet - Direct support measures announced by Federal Government for aged care providers including key points for aged care workers and a summary of information from the Federal Government.
- Retention Bonus Information Sheet - Specific information on the Retention Bonus: $234.9m will be dispersed as payments to eligible workers in residential care and home care during COVID-19 to help retain them in the workforce.
Surge Workforce Fact Sheets
- COVID-19 Response Fact Sheet #1 - Pandemic Response Sub-Register
- COVID-19 Response Fact Sheet #2 - Upskilling for Registered Nurses in Critical Care
- COVID-19 Response Fact Sheet #3 - Refresher Programs for Nurses and Midwives
Information for nurses wanting to assist during the COVID-19 pandemic
Individuals wanting to come back to assist during the COVID-19 pandemic or those in the workforce wanting to access information should visit the AHPRA website and their COVID-19 updates page at https://www.ahpra.gov.au/News/COVID-19.aspx. Information about the new pandemic response sub-register is available on the Pandemic sub-register page at https://www.ahpra.gov.au/News/COVID-19/Pandemic-response-sub-register.aspx.
Telehealth guidance for practitioners
Registered health practitioners are playing a vital role in treating and containing the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19. This is an unprecedented situation and we know you are working hard to keep people safe in a demanding and fast-changing environment. Ahpra and the National Boards have developed the following information which outlines their expectations of how registered health practitioners will use telehealth in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic - https://www.ahpra.gov.au/News/COVID-19/Telehealth-guidance-for-practitioners.aspx
The COVIDSafe app is now available and is completely voluntary. Downloading the app is something you can do to protect you, your family and friends and save the lives of other Australians. The more Australians connect to the COVIDSafe app, the quicker we can find the virus. More information about the app can be found on the Department’s website here.
Department of Health coronavirus (COVID-19) information and resources
Find out how the Department of Health are monitoring and responding to the outbreak, how you can help slow the spread of COVID-19 in Australia, and what to do if you have symptoms. | Coronavirus (COVID-19) health alert
Updates, information and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19) are available on the Department of Health website.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) – frequently asked questions
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources for health professionals, including aged care providers, pathology providers and healthcare managers
Providing aged care services during COVID-19 - Resources and advice for aged care providers and workers who deliver services in residential aged care and in-home care settings. Find out when you must not go to work, getting coronavirus (COVID-19) testing, identifying symptoms in older people, and protecting yourself and the people you care for. View page on the Department of Health website here.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for workers in residential aged care facilities
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for older Australians
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for families and residents on restricted visits to residential aged care facilities
- It’s ok to have home care - information sheet for older people who may have an aged care worker visiting them at home
Online Training and Education
ANMF Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Online
All nurses and midwives can demonstrate leadership in infection prevention and control. Make sure you are delivering best practice using your knowledge, skill and judgment with this core competency. Our Infection Control and Prevention course is free to all ANMF members and is worth 5 hours of CPD towards your registration.
When should hand hygiene be performed? What are the correct techniques across different settings? Our Hand Hygiene course is free to all ANMF members and is worth 2 hours of CPD.
Access both courses through our new-look Continuing Professional Education portal.
Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) - COVID-19 Special Edition Webinars
Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has created significant uncertainty in Australia, especially in aged care. There is a lot of fear surrounding COVID-19, and the situation is moving rapidly. The Australian Government has recently imposed new restrictions on aged care visitation, and some providers have introduced further measures to ensure the spread of COVID-19 is contained. OPAN recognises the importance of access to clear, accurate information during this time.
You can also watch the previous COVID-19 Special Edition Webinars here.
Department of Health e-Learning Modules
Five modules are available for completion as part of the Department of Health’s eLearning program for Aged Care workers. The training includes Personal Safety, Families and Visitors, Outbreak Management and PPE. Click here to register and access the training modules.
COVID-19 infection control training
This 30-minute online training module is for health care workers in all settings. It covers the fundamentals of infection prevention and control for COVID-19. Find out more and register here.
- Coronavirus video – Older Australians
- Coronavirus video – Social distancing
- Coronavirus video - Help Stop The Spread
- Coronavirus video - Recent Traveller
- Coronavirus video - Good Hygiene Starts Here
- Coronavirus video - Stay Informed
COVID-19: Frequently asked questions
Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions from clinicians including Epidemiological FAQs, Clinical Care FAQs, Public Health FAQs and information for practices and patients.
ACTU Fact Sheets
- Workplace FAQs - Workplace Rights
- Psychological Health and Safety at Work
- Temporary Early Access to Superannuation
COVID-19 (coronavirus) scams
Unfortunately, scammers are taking advantage of the spread of coronavirus to exploit and play on the fears of consumers across Australia. | Read more
ANMF Media Releases relating to COVID-19
- ANMF calls on Government to protect nursing home residents and staff | 4th March 2020
- Federal Government needs to be clear on strategies to prevent spread of COVID-19 | 16th March 2020
- ANMF calls for immediate stop on all non-essential visits to nursing homes | 18th March 2020
- Nursing students are only one solution in responding to COVID-19 pandemic | 18th March 2020
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities must be protected from COVID-19 pandemic | 19th March 2020
- ANMF calls on the community to stay home to stop spread of COVID-19 | 23rd March 2020
- ANMF Welcomes Government’s Guarantee for Private Hospitals | 31st March 2020
- Aged care funding injection must guarantee the safety of all nursing home residents | 1st May 2020
- Aged care workers' inspiring efforts to keep older Australians safe despite the challenges of COVID-19 | 8th May 2020
Help stop the spread and stay healthy
A national campaign has launched to inform all Australians about the coronavirus (COVID-19). The campaign aims to reduce the risk to individuals and families by enabling them to make informed decisions and to take up health recommendations. Video and radio material is available here and print ads are available below.
Simple steps to stop the spread
Good Hygiene is in your hands
Recently Travelled Overseas?